Sunday, July 5, 2015

asante sana squashed banana.

Bryan and I recently returned home from the trip of a lifetime! 
With my parents, aunt & uncle, two younger brothers, and a group of about 7 other people we set off on a humanitarian trip to Kenya, Africa

Since I have been home, people have repeatedly said to me "you go to Africa all the time". To set the record straight, this was my third time, and probably my favorite time. 

The number one thing that sets this trip apart from the other trips was being able to experience it with Bryan.
I have had such a love for Africa in my heart, and I sort of felt like that was the one thing Bryan didn't understand. I really do feel like he has seen and knows my WHOLE heart now-- so cheesy, but so true. 

I have seen different sides of people as they travel to these third world countries.  It was so fun to see my parents to relaxed and enjoying themselves, and totally and completely in their element.  It was so cool to see my two younger brothers being so helpful and working so hard. 
It was so fun to see Bryan in every way.  He was extremely helpful. He worked SO hard.  He NEVER complained. He was the first to volunteer to help.  He was so loving and gentle.  and not that he isn't USUALLY these things, but it was just so amazing to see. (because as a lot of you know, in third world countries, things rarely go as planned, living conditions are hard, and there is usually a lot to complain about).

It was fun to talk to Bryan at the end of every day and ask him what his favorite parts were.  Before the trip, he thought he was excited to see all the wild animals on the safari. But once we left, he had grown a deep love and respect for the Maasai people. 

On this trip, we had a group of "tour guides" who turned into what seemed like older brothers to us.  Three were from the Maasai culture, and one was from the city (although basically adopted into the Maasai family). There men are Life Coaches for my moms business.  They were so fun, and awesome to hear their stories and get to know. 
 Dalton, David, Dominic and Moses

The Maasai culture is "so Africa"- and by that, I mean exactly what you picture from a National Geographic article when you picture Africa.  From their clothes, dung huts, spears, dancing and singing, traditions of drinking cows blood and killing lions, these people are amazing!



As for me, my favorite part of the trip this year was Western Kenya.  In western Kenya, we were able to work on several projects.  We helped create a spring of fresh water that will help over 60 families in that community.  We went around to peoples homes and visited them and gave them donations that we brought (clothes, toys, cooking utensils, etc.)We helped plant a garden for a widow of four children.  And we helped children plant 10 trees each ("I Grow With My Tree Project") so in 10 years, they will be able to cut down and sell their trees that they may be able to go to college.  



And of course, the Safari! Bryan got some amazing shots of these animals!  Because the Great Migration happened two weeks after we left, we saw less quantity of animals, but much more quality than I have ever seen before.










The people of Africa are so humble and so happy considering how little most of them have. It was such an amazing experience, and I know it will not be our last time being there together.

Nakupenda, Africa.


1 comment:

  1. I can't wait for my turn. I can't believe Bryan took those pics! He really did?? They're so good!!

    ReplyDelete