Thursday, December 10, 2020

The best worst year

 Yesterday I heard the words "you need to write". It was SO clear in my mind, it completely caught me off guard. This year I have tried to learn, and have continuously worked on trusting/listening to my intuition. So although this is almost five years later, here I am. I listened -- I'm writing. 

It would be impossible to try to sum up the past five years in a single blog post- let alone the year 2020, so let's just start with now.

My sister in law posted something the other day that said "The Best Worst Year", and I liked it. It stuck. It got me thinking and led me to do my annual tradition of listing my yearly accomplishments, along with writing down a list of goals for the next year (18 accomplishments in 2018, 19 goals for 2019, etc.)

Usually it takes me several weeks brainstorming the things I felt I accomplished, and what goals I would like to add to next years list. Almost shockingly, in a year like 2020, the list flowed from me. I wrote them all in a single sitting.

As it has for EVERYONE, 2020 has been an extremely challenging year. Fortunately, I have had a major silver lining in all of this, as I was able to keep my job and arrange my schedule to be able to work from home a couple days per week. It has been both wonderful and eye-opening to see the things that go into the day-to-day for the stay-at-home parent. Being able to be home for those little special moments, like reading Maxine a story, being able to put her down for her nap, changing her diaper, watching her line up her stuffed animals, eating breakfast together... all of these things have made the year 2020 for me, the very best. 

I wanted to share my annual tradition of my 20 accomplishments for the year 2020. This idea is something that I took from the podcast, Happier (Gretchen Rubin and Liz Craft). This is something I usually write and keep in a private, "special" notebook, but I feel inclined to share. So here they are, my lists for 2020 and 2021!


20 Accomplishments for 2020


1. Survived a pandemic

2. Went to Crater Lake

3. Had a better work/life balance

4. Did chakra/pendulum readings for myself and others

5. Did a tarot reading for myself and others

6. Did a craft (my goal for 2020 was to do at least ONE craft, and I did it, right at the last moment)

7. Read more books (Honorable mention to Untamed, a book that changed my life)

8. Lived a less toxic life (removed harmful chemicals, products from our home)

9. Signed up for Young Living

10. Learned a lot about hormone health

11. Started taking supplements that better support my body

12. Took family photos

13. Warner family reunion

14. Had the best Thanksgiving

15. Had the best year of marriage (looking back at previous years, I saw I have written this the past two years!)

16. Got my first tattoo

17. Got my ears pierced

18. Got CHICKENS!

19. Learned/learning to be a parent to Maxine (who quickly transitioned from baby to toddler)

20. Learned much more regarding politics, feminism, and white privilege. 


Although some of my goals for 2021 I would like to keep personal, I wanted to share some fun ones I am looking forward to in the New Year!

1. Make our own kombucha

2. Grow a raised bed garden

3. Go on 30th birthday vacation!

4. Do cross stitch/embroidery

5. Eliminate Amazon at least 80%

6. Raise money for a cause

7. Do a special "girls day" with Maxine

8. Go on a trip with my sisters

9. Get a couples tattoo with Bryan

10. Go on an international trip

11. Get a psychic reading

12. Paint a picture

13. Go on regular (monthly) dates with Bryan

14. Try a new sport or physical activity

No comments:

Post a Comment