Thursday, June 21, 2012

TZ part 1

So basically I don't even know where to begin...
For starters, I'm in Tanzania, Africa until August 15 and basically having the time of my life.

Now when people ask what we were going to do in Africa the answer has been "work and stay in an orphanage with a little bit of travel". And although we have been doing mostly that, I guess I never got to mention how much rice and beans we get to eat, how much music we play, how much Swahili I would study, and how many times we can roll a car with 12 people in it.


So, the first day we got into TZ my little and I have been on our own. We got dropped off at a beach in Dar es Salaam.  We stayed in the cutest little huts and had so much fun swimming in the Indian Ocean! its like a bath tub! We did that for about 4 days before my paranoid mind began thinking "worst case scenario" and "what will happen if Duy doesn't show up?" (Duy is the guy we came over here for- started the Virtua Foundation). We were coming up with all these last resort ideas and by late afternoon, Duy rolled into town and we were back in business. 


On Sunday we got to Tuleeni Orphanage. There are 78 orphans there-- not open to adopt but more of a community and family.  Mama started the orphanage about 23 years about (when she wasn't much older than me).  The kids are so dang cute! They are so smart and really talented in music! They love playing Sorry! and Temple Run (who doesnt?) and of course taking pictures and videos of themselves daily!

Another thing we have really been working on here is building a new orphanage.  It is pretty far from town and we go there every other day (alternate teaching and building).  We had a huge group of CCS workers come and help us lay foundation and we got so much done! Basically my job was shoveling dirt and pumping water.  Although I feel completely insignificant building, I guess it all pays off coming home to the kids and knowing I am helping them build a home. 



Another thing that has really become a huge part of this trip I didn't expect was music!  Duy has recently become a singer/songwriter/guitarplayer.  He has written a lot of songs and is currently producing a CD at a local recording studio.  He and his friend Dialo get together regularly and have jam sessions and somehow I always become a part of it--- I just sing my little heart out.  I even am singing at the local "muzungu" hangout called Glaciers (muzungu=white person) Lean On Me; classic.

As for the car accident, that has definitely been the most eventful thing that has happened this trip.  Last Saturday we were leaving "the land" aka the place where we are building the new orphanage and dropping off cement. There were 7 kids, 2 workers and then my little, Duy and I.  We were heading back and some worker was driving (he looked pretty young and I didn't have a good feeling about it but I didnt say anything... lesson learned). We came to a really steep hill and there were dirt piles in the center of the street because it was under construction.  There was a curve down the hill and a big gully.  We started gaining speed down the hill (around 40 MPH) and we all knew it was coming.  All I remember is Duy yelling "HIT THE BREAK! SLOW DOWN!" but nothing happened.  I braced myself for the impact and the next thing I remember was dust and just pain. The car rolled three times but we landed right side up and me and my little were the only ones left in the car.  She was good at acting and said "get out!" and basically dragged me out.  There were two bodies outside the car covered in blood; I had no doubt at LEAST 1 person had died.  It took me a minute to realize what had happened and I heard kids crying. I looked at my leg and I had a deep nasty cut and my knees and back KILLED!!!!! I saw Duy and his face was covered in blood (he went through the windshield) and he was lifting the car trying to get two kids out.  I just cried and tried to help.  The 3 kids inside the car with us were basically okay except for being a little sore but the professor broke his arm and the kids in the bed of the truck were tore up.  A car picked us up and drove us to the hospital.  I got six stitches in my leg (it took them FOREVER to help us... welcome to TZ).  It was such a blessing though because the bill for all of us (besides the professor and his surgery) was only 100 dollars.  The car payment is a different story. All the windows were broken. There was blood ALL over it; and it was sooooooo SO smashed. 
It is seriously such a miracle we are all okay! The worst part (for me) is I had to get stitches in my leg.  I cried and cried; my little was so good though and held my hand and sang to me while I laid on a rusty hospital bed. Hopefully I don't get AIDS or something from the needle though or THAT will be annoying. 


Anyways since the accident we have just been taking it so easy... relaxing, watching movies, more music, and playing with the kids.  I feel MUCH better and can't wait to get back to work! 
Next week we are probably going to hit up Nairobi which will be SICK!

Anyways, overall Africa is a success! I absolutely love it here, and even though obviously I'm trying to help the children, I'm learning so much for myself!!! I love Africa!

But like I always say... "Mimi Rachelle.  Nina toca Americani.  Nina jenga nyumba watoto yatima."

2 comments:

  1. ahh, roomie! i'm so glad that you're ok!!! sounds pretty scary, but I'm so happy that you're having a good time over there. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete