Monday, January 11, 2016

oregonians.

Well... we made it!
We are officially residents of Corvallis, OR

We have only been here for a week, but it feels like much longer. 
We love our little apartment! We were afraid it was going to be too small and not fit all of our stuff, but it's the perfect, cozy size. We have a little patio that Bryan likes, and I like our kitchen here WAY more (plus it has a stove from basically the 1800s)

Yesterday we attended church and people asked us what brought us here... sometimes we say "school" because sometimes it sounds better than "... we just like it here"


 Some of the highlights of Corvallis 
The COAST!!! since we are currently unemployed, we decided to spend a day at the coast.  It was a beautiful, sunny day and we saw the most amazing waves! I love the ocean, I literally can't believe it has taken me so long to live by one!

The GYM! this is not your average VASA... there are no peak busy hours, no meat heads, and no annoying pop music playing in the background
The Driving: no one is riding my bumper 24/7. and people actually stop at yellow lights! No one is in a hurry, so it is inspiring me to calm and slow down my driving.
Our Relationship: It sounds cheesy, but seriously it feels like we are newly weds again.  We unpacked our new home together (which was so fun), and we feel like we are just trying to figure all of this out again.  Everything is so new so we are on this natural high. We don't really have any friends (except for my sister and her family) so we spend time doing things just us- and it feels like we haven't done that in a while.
The Weather: when we went to the gym at 6:00am this morning, we didn't have to scrape all the ice off of our cars. And despite the rain, we can see the sky probably more than we did in Utah (because of the inversion)
Biking: Riding our bikes is a lot more fun for me because the roads are flat, and the air is easier to breathe.
People: I can go to the local grocery store with no make up or wet hair and not be afraid I'm going to run into someone from high school


with a new year, and a new home I'm feeling particularly motivated and sentimental... I saw this quote yesterday and it really just resonated with my heart

"sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life"

and as far as being motivated...
In the podcast I listen to, "Happier" by Gretchen Rubin, she mentions the Clean Slate Theory, which is essentially, when you have a new year, or a new job, or a new home it is easier to stick to your goals. So on that note, here are some of my new years resolutions 
(currently taking suggestions)
 
Kiss every night before we go to bed
Floss every day
See more whales
Find a job.
 
in the past I've had goals like
"Eat more Cornbread"
"lose weight"
"watch more TV" (before Netflix was a real thing)
So... if you have anything you would add to my small list, let me know, because I'm really trying to utilize my "Clean Slate Theory" to the max.


 

4 comments:

  1. To add to your list: visit Utah every other month 👌🏼

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just what I was looking for and quite thorough as well. Thanks for posting this, I saw a couple other awriter.org
    similar posts but yours was the best so far. The ideas are strongly pointed out and clearly emphasized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oregon is a beautiful place. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete