Thursday, February 9, 2012

soundtrack to my life

According to one statistic, teens listen to 40 hours of music a week.  Even though i'm not a mere teenager anymore, this seems about right.  I really do love music though! my music style has gone through stages over the years.. back in the good ol' days of junior high I used to be a young thug. I listened to songs such as Pony, What'd you do? grillz, laffy taffy, ayo for yayo.. yeah you get the point. I guess you could say I was pretty "hip". for about one year of my life I though I liked country because I dated a boy who loved it (yeah, glad i'm over the whole coutnry scene...)
and in highschool thank goodness I got my shiz together and discovered what real music is.
depending on the day,  my favorite music changes. But my overall genre I would say I guess would be indie/alternative? so people always ask me what that is and its kinda tough to say. If I had to list top 16 favorite artists it could be tough to narrow it down.. lets try (in no particular order)

1. Tegan and Sara
2. Bon Iver
3. Florence + the Machine
4. Angus & Julia Stone
5. John Mayer
6. Passion Pit
7. Sarah Mclahclan
8. Metric
9. Ingrid Michaelson
10. Regina Spektor
11. Coldplay
12. Foster the People
13. Kings of Leon
14. Imogen Heap
15. Mumford & Sons
16. Regina Spektor!

Of course there are some honorable mentions as far as songs go...
1. Somebody I used to know-Gotye
2. Blood- Middle East
3. 5 Years Time- Noah and the Whale
4. Dead Hearts - Stars
5. Matisyahu
6. Atmosphere
7. XX
8. Bird & the Bee
9. Cinema- Skrillex
10. Laura Marling

And don't forget about the classics...
1. Africa - Toto
2. Send me on my way - Rusted Rood
3. Tonight - Phil Collins
4. Anything by Foreigner
5.For What it's Worth - Buffalo Springfield 
6. Chicago ... obviously
7. Sugar Ray
8. Third Eye Blind
9. the Cranberries
10. Wilson Philips
11. Bon Jovi
12. Journey

I've been a HUGE music fan my whole life. I live for live music. I've been close to a BEEELLION concerts. Some of those worth mentioning: Tegan & Sara, Foreigner, Kid Cudi, Taylor Swift, Keith Urban, John Mayer, The Veronica's, A Fine Frenzy, Sarah Mclachlan, Celine Dion, She & Him, Ice Cube, Goo Goo Dolls, Sarah Bareillas, The Fray, Plumb, Jimmy Eat World, Paramore, Joshua Radin, Lady Antebellum, Lifehouse, Carrie Underwood, Miley Cyrus, Atmosphere... I love anything from the Twilight Series to concerts at Energy Solutions.
Music is an interesting thing because it can make your good moods better and your bad moods worse. 
For example: you break up with your boyfriend... don't expect to get out of bed EVER if you are listening to "somewhere out there". Best song to want to kill yourself to.
Another example: Want to get pumped up for a game? Listen to Living on a Prayer (as taught by Coach Barnes) or Pump the Jams by Technotronic (my personal favorite).
Wanna have a good time with your friends? Blast Forever by Chris Brown or Young and Wild and Free by none other than Wiz.
Its creepy that music has such a big impact. Like I can listen to Laffy Taffy and it takes me back to 9th grade sitting in Choir at Olympus Junior (best days of my life) hahah. Its also weird that if you don't hear a song for years you can still jam out almost every word. I associate specific songs with boys i've dated, years in school ("such a senior year trip song"), or hilarious moments of my life. But then it sucks once good songs get overplayed. I literally cannot stand listening to the radio.
Back when I was in high school and I thought I knew everything about life and I thought I had gone through the worst break up of my life (ha) I would replay Sarah Mclachlan and tell my friend Michelle that "Sarah is the only person that every understood me at all!" dramatic much? But seriously I feel like certain songs just hold a place in my heart forever.
Certain songs really resonate with people too.  Not saying that "Sexy Back" my none other than j-timb changed my life, but I bet majority of people out there have a good memory with that song (same with "my humps" by black eyes pees... classic.)


Now I have some music experience, but I'm definitely NOT the most musical person out there. But I really do appreciate it.

SideNote: If you haven't heard of any of the music of any of my lists you should reconsider your music selction, just sayin',
Also... For all the PoBev regs out there, I need suggestions for a song to sing at the next one! You know something that isn't too popular that I won't just absolutely destroy... think about it I need some help before I change my mind.

take a moment and just enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWcyIpul8OE


But like I always say... "Mmm bop, ba duba dop, Ba du bop, ba duba dop, Ba du bop, ba duba dop,  Ba du" - Thank you Hansen for your inspiration song. We will never forget...







2 comments:

  1. i do have to say, you do have a pretty legit taste in music from what I hear coming from your room in our apartment. and the new ingrid michaelson CD? Ah-maz-ing! thanks for sharing :) It's thursday! that means your tests are OVER! party it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets get real here. I haven't heard of half of the people on your top 16 and I'm pretty sure I have the best taste in music, ever. Also, I also had a high school moment with "Somewhere Out There," remind me to tell you about it sometime. And on another note (no pun intended), I used to be just like you. I could not drive/ get ready/ work out/ ANYTHING without music. Music defined my life. Every moment had a song. Every song had a moment. But its crazy how things change as you get older and have kids. You want peace and quiet any chance you get. Which is never. I admit half the time I am driving I am listening to Classical 89!!! I'm such a Grandma!

    ReplyDelete