Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Grandma Rae Webb


Oh my Grandma Rae. I don't even know where to begin.  If it were even possible I would put into words how sweet, beautiful, and pure this woman is; and today she returned to heaven where her husband, son, grandchildren, parents, siblings, and Heavenly Father are.
It wasn't a complete shock when I woke up this morning to a call from my mom telling me my grandma had passed away.  In fact, if anything I would have thought it would have been yesterday.  Rachael Webb was 91 when she died. 
 

I will admit I feel a little ripped off when it comes to our relationship.  I grew up in Maryland until I was 9, and by the time I got here it felt like she already had a billion grandchildren she was already so close to.  Even though we weren't as close as I wish we were, I still have some really amazing memories with her.
One I would like to share is the time me, my parents, my brothers, Matt (Only Krista's BF at the time), and my Grandma Webb drove across the country to Nauvoo.  hahah WOW... sort of a joke.  One night while we were all driving my grandma started to tell us a story about when she was a little girl she was driving with her parents and sisters when their car broke down in the middle of nowhere! My great grandpa had to get out and walk miles and miles to the nearest town to get help while all the girls sat in the car.  They were all huddled together when they heard in the distance a thud....thud....thud.... and it got closer and closer! My grandma was explaining how scared they all were when my dad (so sarcastically) interrupted her and said "And it was a man with a wooden leg!!!!!!!" and my grandma looked at him with her face shocked and said "have I told you this story before?" hahahaha we all burst out laughing.  I laughed so hard I cried, and I still do every time I think about this story.


At 91, Grandma started getting pretty old and we knew her time was running short; she started saying really funny but ridiculous things. (Don't worry she is only pretending to be sad in this picture).  She made comments about how she was on the Titanic, and tried to help find Elizabeth Smart with her husband (who has been dead since I was probably about 5 or so?). Regardless, we all still loved her the same, if not more.  Every time I would see my grandma she would say "Well aren't you beautiful!" and somehow she always remembered I was in a sorority.  One time she asked me how my baby was.... awkward. I had to tell her that was Krista. haha.


Every year for Christmas my grandma would give all her grandchildren a present (really, I don't think I'm exaggerating too much when I say she has close to a million). It has been Christmas ornaments, mugs, snow globes, etc.  A couple years ago she gave us a printed  copy of her testimony of the church, and on Sunday, she gave all of us a copy of her Patriarchal Blessing. WOW.  It was so incredible to me and such a testimony of someone who lives worthily and receives all the promised blessings. I am so glad to have something so special and sacred to her that I can have for myself and refer back to.
The only word I feel is appropriate to use when describing Grandma is: pure.  She is the most beautiful person inside and out I have ever met.  She does nothing but love everyone and everything.  When things start to get crazy, especially with extended family (come on, we all know it does), she was always the one to hold us all together.  I will never forget her soft skin when I would give her a kiss, her voice, or her laugh.  I am so grateful to have known her and feel her love.


Like I've said in previous posts... "the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree"
in this case I pray it doesn't.
Love & Miss you already Grandma Rae.

1 comment: