Tuesday, December 20, 2011

How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World

I recently finished the book How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World, and can I just say it was so good and I recommend it to all girls!  It is written by Jordan Christy (a Kappa Delta non the less) and she gives good insight on how to "start representing a new type of It Girl- a successful, stylish, smart girl who still maintains classic ideals and values." This book was actually very inspiring. She goes through chapters and chapters on how girls today are constantly bombarded with trashy reality TV shows, Girls Gone Wild, playboy, etc. and how old values and ideals have been lost in the process. When it sounds like a lost cause, Jordan Christy breaks down the art of living with style, class, and grace. 

To give a basic idea of the book, the chapter titles are as follows...
1. Stupid girls (I think it's safe to say we all know a Stupid Girl or two.  They're tossing their hair by the water cooler at the office, they're sporting silky thongs with low-rise pants in the grocery line, and there's at least one in every good reality show)
2. Keep your chin up and your skirt down ("Self respect is one of the greatest assets a girl can posses, and get its one of the biggest things we're lacking these days")
3. Words Words Words (not cursing like a sailor or using OMG in every day sentences)
4. Use some Elbow Grease (Wherever your interest lies, don't be afraid to start small!)
5. Choose your friends wisely ("Show me your friends and I'll show you your future")
6. Let Him Come Calling (Turns out our mother's were right- ladies shouldn't make the first move)
7. Dress to Impress ("I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little-if only out of politeness.  And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny.  And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny"-Coco Chanel)
8. Less is More ("Whether you are sixteen or over sixty, remember, understatement is the rule of a fine make-up artist"-Helena Rubinstein)
9. Have Your Cake and Eat It Too!!! ("Let's face it, a nice creamy chocolate cake does a lot for a lot of people; it does for me."-Audrey Hepburn)

Jordan Christy goes into detail of why its important to use appropriate language, how to dress accordingly to your style, rules that you should not stalk a boy (rather let him come to you.. who woulda thought? just kiddin'), choosing friends, and so much more! It got me thinking of what changes I need to make in my life and how to use language and dress that would make not only my grandmother proud, but also all the women who fought so hard for where we are today.

But like I always say... "I'm guessing that you, like myself, would like to leave behind something we can be proud of: a feminine legacy of hard work, self-respect, style, success, class, and grace-a fulfilled life that our mothers would be proud of and your own daughters wouldn't be ashamed of."
okay, so obviously I stole that from Jordan Christy, but seriously I wish I said it first.

1 comment:

  1. I really want to read it. It sounds so good. Come over today so we can mourn the loss of our dear Grandmother together and cry on each others shoulders.

    ReplyDelete