Thursday, December 22, 2011

Obey Your Thirst.

I guess this is what happens over winter break... me sitting at home having SO much free time. Winter break so far has consisted of reading, blogging, and pinterest.. its fine.

I was recently walking into my parents house with a large diet coke from McDonalds when a man in my parents bishopric asked me "what do you drink?" and I said "diet coke".  This guy went off about how he occasionally drinks diet coke but his love is for diet mountain dew.  He said something that really hit home. He said "I tried to quit drinking Mt Dew a few times, but I always came back.  I thought to myself 'why would I give up something that really just makes life better?'" Oh how true these words are.  For about 30 seconds of my day I was thinking about what my new years resolutions were going to be and I thought "maybe I'll give up diet coke".  Right after the words crossed my brain I felt like I should punch myself in the face! WHY would I even THINK of such a thing? Why would anyone give up something that they love so much and (let's face it) just makes life better!

It all started when I worked at Eat-A-Burger for about 3 years (my whole highschool career).  BEST JOB EVER! RIP EAB :(... So at Eat-A-Burger we had literally at least 10 "Diet Coke Ladies" or "DC Regs".  These ladies came about 2 times a day.  They were so awesome because they would give us Christmas/Easter/No reason gifts all the time and we would squeeze about 4 extra limes in their drink a round.  We came to be close friends, and deep down I always knew I was going to be just like them... a "diet coke lady".

Now, there was this time I went to Mcdonalds and this guy had the NERVE to ask me "What are you doing drinking diet coke?" I wanted to be like, "Excuse me sir, YOU don't know my life!" Instead I simply said "I don't know... I guess im a mom." and drove away sheepishly while thinking "geez.. some people's kids.."

Let me give a scenario. I'm at a Mexican restuarant (my favorite, could eat it every day, every meal for the rest of my life). I dont know what it is about diet coke and mexican food... but if I had to pick my last supper... that would be it.  Okay so back to the scenario; I'm sitting at a mexican restaurant with my BFF's eating the free chips and salsa.  A waitress comes and asks us what to drink and I say "Diet Coke with lime please".  "Is pepsi okay?" screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch!!!  I try not to look at the waitress with a look that is screaming "did you seriously just ask me that?" and keep calm and fight the urge to say "you might as well bring me a regular soda.. NOT" and simply respond "water is fine".  End of experience. I personally find nothing in the world worse than Regular Coke or Diet Pepsi. Lesson learned; I now know to never eat there again and know that my meal will only be 1/2 as good as it would have been with a fizzy cool DC. 

I definitely have my Diet Coke preferences.  I do love diet coke from a fountain (mcdonald's or the quick stop, please!), then from a bottle, and lastly from a can.  Obviously I have thought this out. Kappa Delta didn't help me stop drinking diet coke, that's for sure.  Living 50 feet from the Quickstop made "happy hour" a REALLY happy hour when 10 girls would all walk over there and get our 32 ounces half off!  Bonding with Tara Derber when she can tell I'm pissed and says "lets go get diet cokes".  Or late night study sessions with the gang and doing a quick McDonald's run for the tasty drink (as well as monopoly pieces).
Now, I'm not saying I'm addicted (is the first sign of addiction denial? crap) but Diet Coke is the best reward I get to give myself every day.  Had a bad day? Drink a diet coke.  Sad because it's Thursday/Friday/Saturday and some things never change? Drink a diet coke.  Driving to Melissa's? Get a Diet Coke.  Just finish taking an exam? Drink a Diet Coke. So don't worry, I have a limit of only 1 Diet Coke a day, but if this blog hasn't made it obvious,I just LOVE IT! Diet coke makes the sky bluer, love more beautiful, children more cute, crappy moods into good ones, bad conversations bearable, test days into normal days. I just can't see myself giving up something that is made to make life better.

Brother Spillet in my parents ward ended our conversation by saying "Hey, if diet coke makes life better who cares if it ends it about 10 years early? I'll take it if it makes that big of a difference." AMEN to that brotha.

For all my fellow Diet Coke drinkers... raise your cup to this.  If you don't drink soda or want to tell me how its going to give me cancer, I honestly don't want to hear it. 

But like I always say... "Just a large Diet Coke and that is all please"... to the Mcdonald's speaker that is.
Diet Coke Forever.





3 comments:

  1. I looove happy hour at the quick stop! this post was so funny :) oh, and I'm so sorry about your gma, she seems like such a wonderful lady and her smile is the cutest thing I've ever seen! have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just tell you how much I loved that post? ....and as I was reading I was drinking a diet coke of course. duh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was drinking a Diet Cherry Pepsi when I read this.

    ReplyDelete