Thursday, July 26, 2012

Becoming a "Kid Person"

So I have this confession...Over the past seven weeks I have learned so much about myself and life (hand washing laundry, swahili, how to ride a dola dola, etc.) But of all these necessary and important things I've learned is about the kids. 
I will admit I feel a little guilty because I have told several people that after this trip I have learned I'm not really a "kid person"... kinda the wrong trip to realize this, right? I knew that I liked kids considering that Child Welfare is the best class I have taken in my life, after 6 years of being a swimming instructor, a summer of being a Nursery teacher and being completely 100% being obsessed with my niece and nephews.  These past week though I have completely had a shift in "not being a kid person" and I have realized that I am more of an "organized-activity-kid-person". Although the first few weeks on being in TZ I definitely had anxiety about how I was going to survive because I thought I learned I WASN'T a kid person, but over the past few weeks I realized I am better at it then I thought I was.  Kind of a sad realization I'm having with only 3 short weeks left (Only 2 more at Tuleeni).   I DO love these kids so much! However, I've just learned I'm only good at organized activities with little kids, but hey... you learn something new about yourself every day.

I have told people before, I get my baby fix from these twins, Cele and Hilda.  They are somewhere between 18 mo-2 years old and have developed slower than your average American baby.  Hilda is quite the character and "mean mugs" anyone who looks at her-- except for me! (most of the time). One thing I've learned from this little one is to not be (at least try my hardest) disgusted at naked baby bums and pee everywhere.  Since diapers are so expensive, I guess they have fallen to the bottom of the necessity list and let the babies either wear no pants or layers of bottoms so they all get soaked through.  These babies roam the land and seem happy for having little supervision (hey, its hard to put all your attention to 1 of the 78 kids here). The other night my little, Neema and I came home from grabbing some food in town.  It was pitch black and I thought I heard some whimpering from the bushes.  I walk over and see baby Hilda just playing all by herself in the sand having a good old time. I picked her up with my arms straight in front of me (no diaper...) and carried her back into the house. (Okay so the straight arm- obviously I was grossed out but I'm still learning).


Little Hilda




I have gotten to know some of these kids the past 7 weeks and learned their stories.  I have heard what they want to be when they grow up and what kind of food they want to try when they get to America. I have formed bonds and friendships with them.  There is nothing in this world I suck at more than goodbyes (biggest cry baby ever) and I am dreading the day that comes.


This past weekend has been amazing with the Tuleeni kids (thanks to some organized activities). I have felt such a new and strong bond with them-- especially after they have learned my name and I always hear them yelling "SHELLY!!!" On Saturday nights we have recently started a movie night tradition.  My dad (shout out!) donated a projector that we use to project classic movies like 101 Dalmations and Brother Bear.  This is something I know I have always taken for granted, but it was so fun to set it up like a little movie theater for the kids. Sunday is always a Funday after we have our church service-- we go to a giant field not too far from our house and watch the kids play soccer, blow bubbles, jump rope, race tires (classic Africa, right?), and play Red Rover (or as the kids say... Land Rover).  Needless to say, Red Rover always ends up getting quite intense and although most of the kids fall on their butts we always have a good time and laugh it off.


Another thing we have been doing more is study hour (Sweets & Treats) with the kids to help them study for their exams.  The big exam is 4 months away, but with a nice boarding school on the line, they need to study every single day.  We have made fun games to teach them English and even taught the #9 trick when doing times tables.  It is the most rewarding feeling when they get something right and they look up to make sure that I'm proud of them and then they get the biggest grins on their face.  That is something I have found to be priceless and makes the trip worth it. I mean it.


I love America!!! I miss it so much--- but I'm starting to freak out with only a few more weeks left. I have learned so much about myself and life on this trip I wouldn't change it for the world. 


But like I always say..."Quit your job, buy a ticket, get a tan, fall in love, and never return."

ps . some pics in case your missing my face


Me and a fellow Mormon, Mike


Celebrating the 24th of July in our Utah gear!


A KD Alum (Beta Delta Chapter) we met while shopping!!!
I've also become a dog and sprite person

I know I've heard about AIDS, have you?

Our Roomie, Neema aka Mandy

Roomie bonding night (plus Paul taxi)

1 comment:

  1. Sister, I seriously almost cried while reading this. You sound so grown up. I can tell that you really love the people there. It is going to be so hard to leave. When we left China, I bawled like a baby. Matt wants to know if the boarding school has a garden? Do they garden there at the orphanage? Miss your guts and have fun, and be safe! Love you!

    ReplyDelete