Saturday, July 7, 2012

Nairobi & Mombasa

So much has happened the past week I dont even know where to begin...
I guess I'll start by saying that the first time I came to Africa in 2007 we went to Kenya. For some reason, I feel like my loyalty is with Kenya, even though TZ has my heart.
Nairobi is basically the NY of East Africa you could say.  It is really industrialized and modern compared to other places in Africa.  Everyone there speaks English basically and it isn't too hard to get around (minus almost getting hit when crossing the round about). We stayed at the YMCA and I got my own bed for the first time in a month! WOO!

Duy has a lot of friends in Kenya so we had a blast getting to know them and just hanging out and relaxing.  For the first time in a month we felt like we actually had friends! and we felt like we knew them forever and basically goofed off for six days straight.

On Sunday night we took an overnight bus to Mombasa. We made fun of Duy the whole time because he was so excited about the air conditioning and how nice our bus was. Needless to say, lesson learned because Karma definitely got us on the way home (one could call it tokyo drift in a giant bus. going about 60 MGH around corners and down hills. I literally prayed the whole time we wouldnt get in another car accident).

Mombasa was AMAZING! probably the highlight of the trip.  On Monday morning I got some bad news about my best friends little sister passing away so I was pretty  bummed out, but I still tried to make the most of it.  We spent the day on the white sand beach with the most warm and clear blue water! We did some swimming, napping, caught some rays, and oh-- rode a camel obviously.  You might not THINK that a camel sounds that cool, but if you stand by a camel you forget how freakin huge they are! it was like riding a dinosaur/some scary animal on like Avatar or Star Wars. Just saying.









So many adventures, the best way to put it would be to just mention the highlights:
-Crying in the back of the taxi confessing my best friendship for my little
-Meeting a crazy german and spaniard and making bff with them
-Getting thrown in the pool with my clothes on
-Teaching swimming lessons
-Going to the Elephant Orphanage
-Eating Pizza always just to eat CHEESE
-Dancing with my little and strangers-- aka swing/salsa dancing
-Getting my African bracelet
-Laying on the grass watching the full moon and clouds
-Swimming in the ocean to see the most beautiful sunset on both sides
-Celebrating "Free Hugs" in Nairobi
-My little sleep-yelling and fighting me... TWICE
-Wrestling matches on the beach
-Hide & Seek with all the Mombasa Crew
-Playing Wii sports and winning every time
-Riding a camel
-Planning out the rest of my life
-Catching some rays
-Getting kicked off the presidents red carpet
-Learning African Proverbs
-Cook offs between little and Marv

It was such a good vacation and I had so much fun! Shout out to Siri, Olly, and Martin aka Marv! The people we met were amazing and some people I know we will be friends forever.
Good times in Kenya, back to home in Tanzania

But like I always say... "Sometimes in life you gotta stop and look and see what you've accomplished so far and then make changes from there" -Marvin Okaka

No comments:

Post a Comment