Monday, July 16, 2012

Life is Beautiful

As of lately I know that all my posts have been making light of Africa, filled with inside jokes and my sarcastic humor. I do feel it appropriate to mention that this is truly an amazing experience Im having.

For starters, I'm currently in a city called Arusha; a two hour bus ride from our hometown Moshi. We came as a little getaway after recently deciding climbing Kilimanjaro is no longer an option (after the car accident my littles back is still not healing). Here in Arusha we came with our roommate Neema on a little business trip to see the schools some of the Tuleeni boys will be coming to for secondary school. This little trip has been nothing short of pure luxury for us.
Hospitality is definitely something Africans are not lacking. Let me back up and start from the first week we were here. We stayed with a woman (aunty) who literally gave up her bed for us to stay in for two nights while she made sure we always had enough to eat and drink and a fan in case we got hot. Not only did she not mind our staying, she never wanted us to leave and begged us to stay another night. Although I was truly touched I thought we had met a one of a kind woman.
We have had these experiences countless times this trip. Yesterday, yet again, we were invited to Duys-friends-brothers birthday party. Not thinking it was a huge deal we decided to go (mostly for the free food if we are being honest). This birthday party reminded me so much of being home and having a Sunday afternoon lounging with the fam in slc. They not only made us lunch, served us tea and cake, watched a movie, then had dinner before leaving. Too good too good.our friend Sheila definitely spoiled us and I fell in love with her daughter Nicole.
So that brings me to today... In Arusha. Like I said, a nice get away. A nice break from the cycle of bucket showers and cabbage salad for dinner. Besides the drama bus ride, I've been living like a queen today. Not only does our friend Davy have a toilet, but clean water, tile, cheese, and wifi!!!!

I can't believe how much I've grown to appreciate the little things (and even gone crazy for them). But I never thought a person could miss tile so much; My feet haven't been this clean since I got here!!!
It makes me so nervous to go back home and immediately fall back into the normal routine in life and not stop to appreciate the fact that we are blessed with so much and have things that seem simple but are truly a blessing such as grass, a garage, spice racks, laundry soap, doors that shut, smooth roads, dish washer, cleaning supplies, the list goes on and on. All I'm saying is, take some time today to appreciate the little things. Do it for me and know I'm missing that thing so much from the other side of the world.

But like I always say... "Stop and smell the roses."

1 comment:

  1. Miss you so much sister!! That's why I love traveling so much, because it give you such good perspective on life. I was always so scared to come home and start taking things for granted again. But just hearing you say the things you wrote about, I immediately feel like I did in China and Africa. I promise to think about the little blessings in my life. Good job sister, I'm so proud of you. Love, Krista

    ReplyDelete