Friday, July 27, 2012

is this real life?

So basically the theme of this whole trip with my little is us just looking at each other and saying "Remember how this is our life?" Basically every day we take some time to say what average-every-day-African-thing we have adopted to become "normal".  Here are just a few things that first come to my mind...
#1 Seeking Kilimanjaro Every Day
Okay so obviously I love Utah (so much Utah Pride its not real) and I love my parents house in Holladay because basically right up our street is Mt. Olympus-- basically the prettiest mountain in my opinion.  I thought that until I came to Moshi and realize that I get to see how beautiful Kili is every single day (well when the clouds aren't in the way).  That is something that I will admit I have taken for granted and have considered it "normal" but I keep having to remind myself... seeing the best mountain in Africa every single day really isn't that normal!
#2. Riding the Dola Dola (Dolla Dolla$$$)
Okay so there is this thing called a Dola Dola. Basically it is a mid-sized van that sits 12 people comfortably. Only, the catch to riding the dola dola (like literally 5 cents to get home rather than a 2 mile walk) is it ISN'T comfortable and it's actually pretty freakin' sketchy.  They stuff NO LESS then 30 people in a dola dola.. i'm not joking.  They smack the side of the bus while the last 2 people are still trying to get in to tell the driver to take off and they start hauling down the road... the door is still wide open and some guy jumps in and just makes sure no one falls out.  Everyone is basically laying and sitting on top of everyone! One time I held someones bag, but better yet one time I held someones CHILD on my lap.  Not a big deal at the time because, hey, its normal... right?
#3.  "Can I get your contact information?"
Never in my life have I had so many people ask me for my "contact information".  I mean I wish I could say it was flattering and they were being so forward because I'm quite the catch but this is absolutely not the case... turns out everyone is friends with everyone apparently and you get EVERYONES phone number, email, and FB name.  On my average-everyday-african life I would say I am walking into town and someone tries to start a conversation with me. Sometimes I'm in the mood- but when I'm not I pretend I'm fluent in spanish or don't speak a single word of English or Swahili.  However, they still always pull a phone out and INSIST I put in my contact information.  It's real cool and I at least have a lot of contacts in my TZ cell phone...
#4. The Concept of Love
Okay so this is something that I hope I never consider to be normal, but the concept of love in Africa is literally something that blows my mind.  I have talked to both boys and girls on the topic and they both seem to always be going back at each other.  So all my local friends I have made are total "muzungu chasers" aka they only like/date white girls.  I thought it was weird, but after having conversations they seem to have a good point when they say that the boys do it for love where African women only do it for the money and financial security.  Both sides say that the other sex always cheats on them. However-- the real problem I have noticed is that all these young guys are hooking up with these old-lady-white-women.  These poor old white ladies think that their 21 year old fiance really does love them but it turns out all he wants is to get to America-get your money-and dump you! how messed up is that? All I want to do is make sure that the girls aren't gold diggers and the boys aren't muzungu chasers and put my match making skills to the test-- because as much as I like being proposed to one second and then the next saying its because I'm white, I don't like it.  Sounds pretty messed up if you ask me.
#5. Not having electricity
So in our house we are actually really lucky and have electricity about 80% of the time.  It just so happens its when I let people borrow my head lamp the electricity is out for 3 days straight.  In Africa there isn't daylight savings therefore its pitch dark around 7 pm-- this puts me in a bedtime mood and I'm in bed by 10. Kinda nice, except for the fact I have to eat and brush my teeth by candle light and all my electronics (i.e. cell phone/ipod) are dead for days on days on days. It's always a hit and miss to see when our power will be on or when it will come on again.  But it's whatever I suppose and it could be much worse.

Here is just a short list I like to call "I think you get the idea why I cant believe this is my life"
-Wild dogs-ducks-cats-chickens-animals everywhere
-Riding in the bed of pick up trucks for 2 hours
-Hugging total stranger-children and becoming their BFF
-Holding hands with kids whenever we walk anywhere
-Pedestrians never have the right of way-- aka running from speeding buses comin' at ya!!!
-Hearing dog fights ALL NIGHT LONG aka the Twilight Bark
-Giving out the wanted "contact info" and getting 100+ text messages from "Benny Bus"
-Having people use the phrases "You look smart"-- aka you look nice and "You are lovely"-- too cute, right?
-Always having a pencil/pencil sharpener shortage and sharpening pencils with a piece of plastic because "its works" aka it doesn't.
-Having babies just roam the land
-Feeling like a celebrity and getting pictures taken of you always
-Having "singing time" with the little girls and trading KD songs for Swahili songs
-Talking to LITERALLY all white people you see anywhere to learn everyone's story
-Waking up every morning with a sore neck from not sleeping with a pillow -- ever
-Rice & Beans have become a delicacy
-Being able to understand enough Swahili I know when they are talking about us
-Watching kids race tires
-Having corn instead of grass is considered "lawn"
-Having ducks and cats run through the house like its not a big deal



But like I always say... "This really is my life, and I'm pretty freakin' lucky, so basically I gotta take full advantage of it."

1 comment: